He did it again – my husband, of course – coming up with a scrumptious appetizer that everyone drooled over…and destroyed. I can’t label everything he makes “healthy”, but this one made the cut!
We brought this to the Dosenberry Family Christmas party (my side) and it was the perfect bite sized finger food – surely to convert any mushroom hater. It’s loaded with veggies, fresh herbs, and plenty of lump crab! Noms!
From a nutritional stand-point these mushrooms are well balanced, too. The crab supplies lean protein, the butter and olive oil are healthy fats, while the mushrooms, onion, and pepper provide vitamin packed carbs. They are full of flavor without any guilt.
Sign. Me. Up!
- 40 mini portobello mushrooms with stems
- 16 oz crab meat
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup fresh parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup hearty bread crumbs (ciabatta or french)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp fresh sage, coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 400*
- Separate stem from the cap of each mushroom to create a cup
- Chop mushroom stems
- Combine onion, red pepper, mushroom stems, and garlic in pan with butter and sauté until soft
- Add bread crumbs and stir until moist
- Remove from heat and add crab, parmesan cheese, and salt & pepper to taste
- Combine until well mixed
- Spoon mixture evenly among mushroom cups
- Drizzle olive oil over the top of mushrooms
- Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet 15-20 min until tops are golden brown